The High-Performance Triathlon programme at BISP is dedicated to creating strong, smart athletes equally capable in disciplines of swimming, cycling and running.
Triathlon is a complex sport requiring balance, endurance and strength across all three modalities, and we strive to set up our athletes for successful performance for years to come; whether it be through college scholarships, professional careers, or other athletic dreams.
Building on Head Coach Sergio Borges’ more than 20 years of coaching experience, this programme is designed with every detail in mind.
Fitness, strength, mobility, nutrition, and skill are all paramount to the training and education of our triathletes. A keen understanding of adolescent development in the realm of endurance sports is key to the success of this programme.
All of our triathletes are trained not only to be their healthiest selves; but their mindset and understanding of the training principles are part of the education intertwined in this programme. Our goal is to create well-rounded athletes prepared to compete confidently on the global stage of the growing sport of triathlon.
- Level III USA Triathlon coach
- Level II ITU Triathlon Coach – Junior and U23 Development
- Level II USA Cycling coach
- USAT Lecturer at Coaching Level I and II Clinics
- Contributor to sport magazines and sites including ironman.com, TriFuel.com, Xtri.com, etc
- Over 145 athletes qualified for IM World Championships in Hawaii to date
- Feature lecturer in the Triathlon World Summit
- Contributing author of the USA Triathlon first ever book – Complete Triathlon Guide
- Competed as an Elite Age Group Triathlete in 25 Ironman races and over 80 Ironman 70.3 races
- Qualified and raced in the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii 8 times
- 1998: Founder of the first Kids Triathlon Program in San Diego
- 1998-2013: Former Head coach of the UCSD Triathlon Team : 3 time National Champions and#1 Women Team in the Nation from 2006-2010
- 2010-2012: Former Head Coach of the UCI Triathlon Team
- Head Coach of the High Performance Paratriathlon Camp at the Olympic Training Center
- Head Coach of the First ever Paratriathlon Camp by Challenge Athletes Foundation
- 2008, 2004 and 2003 : Head Coach, USA Team (Elite, U23 and Junior) at the 2008, 2004 and 2003 Duathlon World Championships
- 2008 USAT Coach at Collegiate National Camps and Recruitment Camps at the Olympic Training Center