This article featured on the official website of Cruzeiro EC
Eight years ago, the International Business Department of Cruzeiro – DNI started the work of internationalising the Club’s brand in Asia. At that time, the Fox professionals had no idea that, so long after, the partnership would turn into a solid project, taking the starry shield to such distant places and guaranteeing many titles for students at the British International School, Phuket in Thailand, where the Cruzeiro EC – Thai operates in Phuket. In the unit, football classes are offered to about 300 students, boys and girls who follow the club, watch the games and carry the feeling of being a Cruzeiro in their chests. And to celebrate the special brand, turning eight now in early May.
The work started in 2013, and in January of this year, Cruzeiro renewed the partnership until 2023. The goal is to apply the same methodology for training Fox’s athletes, which is the only Brazilian club that has this partnership format.
In these eight years, the Cruzeiro school in Thailand has played more than 100 tournaments around the world, in countries like Portugal, Spain, in other places in Asia and also in Brazil.
Leading the project in Thailand is Coach Jonathas Candido, who recalled the early years of the partnership. “I feel privileged to have been chosen and to have the opportunity to lead the first Cruzeiro Academy abroad. Starting a project like this is not so simple. Brazilian clubs were not very popular in Asia and it was a great challenge. Today I see that we have won people’s respect and admiration. Cruzeiro’s history of conquests and glories reached Asia, through the work of several professionals who collaborated with the success of the program. Looking back, I see that the whole sacrifice of leaving the country and the distance from the family was worth it! The objective is being reached and we will continue working so that the name of Cruzeiro Esporte Clube is big in the four corners of the world”, said Jonathas.
“We adapted Cruzeiro’s training curriculum to our reality, and we fully followed the teaching methodology. We work directly with professionals from DNI and the youth system of the Club, and from there we develop and evolve the methodology on a daily basis.
Today we are five Brazilian football coaches working with almost 300 athletes at the British International School, Phuket. Despite the distance, the students follow the club, watch the games and really take Cruzeiro at heart.
Head Coach, Jonathas Candido
In addition to Thailand, Cruzeiro Esporte Clube today has football schools in other parts of the planet, such as Japan, Kuwait and Chile. In Brazil, there are about 50 licensed schools, all over the national territory.
Main achievements – Cruzeiro EC, Thailand
- Samui Fan Football U-19 Boys Champions 2020
- Thailand International U-19 Boys 2020 Tournament Champions
- Thailand International U-19 Girls 2020 Tournament Champions
- Harrow Cup U-15 Boys Champions 2020
- Harrow Cup U-15 Girls 2020 Champions
- Champions Soccer 7’s Sub-9/11/15 Girls / 18 Girls / 18 Boys 2019
- U-18 Singha Cup Champions 2019
- Grab Cup U18 Champions 2019
- ISB Tournament Champions Sub-18 Boys 2019
- ISB Tournament Champions Sub-18 Girls 2019
- U-18 Southeast Asian Cup Champions 2018
- Bangkok International Youth Football U17 Champions 2018
- Senior Invitational Games Champions Pattaya U19 2018
- Harrow International Cup U-15 Champions 2018
- Phuket U-13 International Youth Cup Champions 2017
- BISP Football Champions 7 Sub-13/15/19 2017
- Senior Invitational Games Champions Pattaya U19 2017
- Bangkok International Youth Football champions Sub-10/14/17
- BISP Challenge Cup U-14 Champions 2016
BISP acknowledges our professional association with Cruzeiro Football and recognises the high-quality education and training given to our students. The coaches, led by Jonathas Candido, provide the highest level of football training while contributing to the whole school community in many other ways. The success of our football teams and individual students, including professional signings, is a reflection of Cruzeiro’s methodology and standards.
BISP Headmaster, Simon Meredith