Please join us online on Saturday 22 May at 2 pm for the Virtual IB Graduation Ceremony for British International School, Phuket’s Class of 2021. The event will be premiered via our Facebook page and YouTube (link to be provided in the next Virtual Graduation blog post). In the meantime, read on to find out where in the world our 2021 graduating class will go.
Our Graduating Students
Representing 25 different nationalities, 16% of our 62 graduates have attended BISP for more than 11 years. So far, our students have submitted 198 applications to 153 universities in 19 countries. Some students will take a gap year (a more common trend during this pandemic), while others will apply to countries such as Australia and Korea later in the year when the respective application windows open.
The UK continues to be the most popular destination for BISP graduates. Students sent 90 applications to the United Kingdom, 72 applications have received conditional offers. 75% of BISP UK applicants received conditional offers from four universities and sometimes all five of their choices. The most popular courses in the UK were Management and the Social Sciences. Bath, UCL Exeter and Sheffield Hallam were some of the popular choices this year.
Students have applied to undertake 20 majors, including Medicine, Pharmacy, Physics, Computer Science, Fashion, Civil, Chemical and Automotive Engineering, Hospitality, Liberal Arts, Drama, Sports Management, Business, Economics, History, Early Childhood Education, Psychology, Finance, Criminology, Law, English and International Relations. At BISP, we are fortunate to celebrate this diversity of destinations and majors every year.
Thailand’s universities received significant attention this year, as well. Students submitted applications to Mahidol, Thammasat, Chulalongkorn, Rangsit, SIIT and Srinakhanriwirot. They plan to pursue Architecture, Engineering, Medicine, Pharmacy and International Relations.
Scholarships are not easy to come by in any country in the world, and they must be well earned; however, BISP graduates are often successful in the pursuit of scholarship awards, and having such a diverse international population means that these scholarship recipients will be spread around the globe. We congratulate:
- Mariia – Seymour Schulich Academic Excellence Entrance Scholarship and President’s Admission Scholarship at the University of Calgary to study Chemical Engineering.
- Yan Zheng – Academic scholarship and 1-year credit (since he studied IBDP) at Drew University. He plans to study Electrical Engineering and be part of their NCAA Division 3 swim team.
- Nitchanan – International student scholarship at St George’s University, Grenada to study medicine.
- Polina – Scholarships at McGill University, University of British Columbia and Northeastern University (Boston).
- Bhuvan – Scholarships at Hong Kong University and HKUST.
- Hugo – International student scholarship at Stirling University in Scotland.
Our students wishing to follow sports careers or further sports education have again represented BISP well. Congratulations to:
- Arijus – NCAA Division 1 Florida State University for swimming
- Aryan – NCAA Division 1 University of Florida for swimming
- Callum – NCAA Division 2 Mars Hill University for football
- Adam – Professional football Perak FC, Malaysia
- Micah – Professional Football Portland Timbers (US Development Academy)
Please visit the news page of our website to read more about our students in the Class of 2021 – their university offers and choices, and the varied contributions they have made to our school.